Dear Oprah and Diane: Please Mute the Abuser

01.31.09

Dear Oprah Winfrey and Diane Sawyer,

I implore you both to refrain from giving Nadya Suleman a bigger voice.

The woman is clearly deranged, she’s created 14 new people and subjected them to gross neglect from the moment of conception. Rather than exalt this woman, and give her the attention she so desperately craves, please ignore her. Feeding her illness is akin to telling an anorectic she’s plumped up a little.

Perhaps instead you’ll parade medical ethicists, malpractice attorneys and mothers of multiples in front of the screen.

I promise, we’ll still tune in (I actually use my DVR), and ladies, we’ll talk about you.

And if you listen to my plea, I’ll talk about you nicely.

Warm Regards,

Jessica Gottlieb

20 responses to “Dear Oprah and Diane: Please Mute the Abuser”

1. Darryle says:

While you were writing this I was writing the same thing—only in 140 characters. http://twitter.com/DarryleP/status/1165551086

2. the ex says:

Sick. This story just keeps getting more and more disgusting every single day.

3. Dr. Rob says:

Agreed. She is using pregnancy and raising multiple children as a means for fame. Parenting is about raising kids to become responsible adults. These children are tools of the mom from the start, and I doubt she has really thought about how she will give each what they need.

Having a bunch of babies doesn’t qualify someone as an “expert” at raising children any more than getting shot makes you an expert on guns. She is a pitiable person, not a hero. The focus should be on the children, not on the mother.

That is where I feel the worst. I feel that the kids are the sideshow in all of this. They are a spectacle – fodder for the tabloids and tabloid TV. The only reason this family deserves people to give money is for the sake of the kids, not the fame of the mother.

4. mikalan says:

This whole story makes me ill. I agree Jessica she doesn’t need more air time. The thing that is really driving me crazy though is that a doctor would acutally implant all of those eggs in a 33 year old, unmarried mom of 6. It concerns me that she will most likely end up on welfare and taxpayers will be paying for the hospital bills and childrens upkeep. Not to mention that as a single mom there is no way she can give all of those kids the care that they need both physically and emotionally.

5. Becky says:

Oh, Jessica. You actually believe Oprah and Diane would take a pass on this? Why do you think the Oct-mother is kneeling at their exploitation altar?

6. Brenna says:

Oh, I so agree. It’s probably just wishful thinking that these two would pass it up though. I can’t believe how ridiculous this story has become.

7. Katee says:

I could not agree more. The woman sounds totally MENTAL!! They should lock her up and take away the kids.

8. annie says:

The doctors who helped her conceive these children (all of them) should be outed and held accountable, but in the meantime, she deserves our pity not 15 minutes of fame.

9. Carlota says:

Jessica, I completely agree. I would even to go so far as to say any company who dares to use her as a spokesperson should be boycotted for encouraging her. The doctor who allowed this to happen should be forced to support her and her 8 babies instead of us taxpayers.
    I hope that after all this the government finally steps in like they did in the EU and put a maximum number of embryos that can be implanted, to prevent this type of thing from happening again.

10. […] I read Jessica Gottlieb’s post on the subject, which is a plea to Oprah and Dianne Sawyer to not features the mother of the […]

11. Jack says:

The story becomes more disturbing each day.

12. Well said Jessica. This story is just begging to be turned into some kind of twisted combination of John and Kate Plus 8 and one of those specials on the Duggars. I sincerely hope it doesn’t happen though.

As for Dr. Rob who said: “Having a bunch of babies doesn’t qualify someone as an “expert” at raising children any more than getting shot makes you an expert on guns.” AMEN!

13. MizFit says:

AMEN SISTER.

14. […] ridiculousness, Suleman wants to become a television childcare expert. Dr. Rob’s comment on Jessica Gottlieb’s blog says it best: “having a bunch of babies doesn’t qualify someone as an “expert” at […]

15. Jillian says:

Wow. You hit the nail right on the head. I, however, will not watch Oprah no matter what. She lost me when she flogged James Frey on her show. Come on. The guy embellished his story for a novel. Is that so bad? It’s not as if he killed someone. The only reason she was upset was because she thought she might look bad. Poor James Frey probably started using drugs all over again after that. Oprah makes me SICK.
    just my opinion

16. bonggamom says:

I agree completely. If this woman ends up with her own show like Jon+Kate+8, I will throw up. It’s only going to encourage more couples to out-multiple the latest multiples, and ultimately it endangers the lives and well-being of the multiples themselves!

I’m a twin mom — I think 2, 3 or 4 pose enough of a risk as it is, and I can’t believe any responsible doctor would implant more than 4.

17. Laura says:

This woman’s story is truly mind-boggling. On so many levels. Btw, I linked to your LA Moms Blog story for my blog. Well said.

18. […] Jessica Gottlieb’s post on this subject helps to express part of what I want to say.  But as someone who wanted to work as an embryologist and help people have babies (the deal breaker was thinking I would have to help people like Nadya Suleman get pregnant), I find it hard to even begin to express how nutty this is.  But here are some things I would like to point out: […]